Friday, August 12, 2011

"...only unto you as long as..."


“…only unto you as long as…”
            With those words I pledged myself to be faithful to by wife.  I stood before God and a church full of people and said I would never sleep with anyone else as long as the two of us were alive.  By God’s grace I have kept that vow.  And she has kept her vow to me.  So I am marking our 44th anniversary today with this blog entry.
            Cindy has given me respect even when I didn’t earn it.  Grace.
            She has nursed me back to health through two bouts with cancer.  Mercy.
            When I failed to meet her expectations as a spiritual leader, she prayed for me.  Forgiveness.
            I dropped the ball (more than once) in raising our wonderful kids and she confronted me with loving firmness.  Love.
            Cindy has prayed for me, probably every single day, for 44 years.  Faith.
            When there was no money to pay bills, she told me it would get better.  Hope.
            I have learned more about God’s love for me by walking these many years through life with her.  I am grateful beyond words. 
            Thanks, Cindy.  I love you.  You truly are God’s gift to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment